We're proud to announce FL Studio 9.
You can download it from our download page and find out what's new here.
Check out the September newsletter here.
The Image-Line Team
What is FL9?
FL Studio is a full-featured, open architecture, music production environment capable of audio recording, composing, sequencing and mixing, for the creation of professional quality music. The FL Studio philosophy is creative freedom:
o Free your audio - Instruments can be routed to any mixer track. Each mixer track can receive audio from any number of instruments, any number of other mixer tracks and a soundcard input. Further, mixer track outputs allow sending audio to any other mixer track and a soundcard output.
o Free your mind – Choose your preferred workflow, compose using the step-sequencer or piano roll. Create in pattern or track mode, then arrange your ideas in the free ‘palette’ Playlist. The Playlist presents timeline as a virtual ‘canvas’ where each Playlist track can simultaneously hold any number of score, audio and automation events. Now that’s freedom.
o Make virtually any sound - FL9 includes over 30 software synthesizers covering acoustic/synthetic bass, electric guitar, multi-sampler tools including piano & strings, general sample playback and beat-slicing (With Rex 1 & 2 support).
o Synthesis techniques - span subtractive, modelling, FM, RM, granular and additive. With the addition of FL SynthMaker you can further create & share your own FL instruments, effects & MIDI control dashboards without the need to write basic code.
Audio Recording & Editing
o Multi-channel audio inputs - With the ability to simultaneously capture all the inputs on your audio-interface, FL Studio has the flexibility to record a single vocalist, guitar or a full symphony orchestra.
o Arranging audio - Audio can then be arranged, with complete freedom in the Playlist. Features include the ability to host an unlimited number of audio recordings, time-stretching, pitch-shifting, beat-slicing, cropping, editing and the re-arranging of audio with complete creative freedom.
o Edison - FL9’s audio capabilities are further enhanced with Edison, the recording wave editor. Edison is an integrated audio editing and recording tool with spectral analysis, convolution reverb, noise reduction, loop-recording, loop-construction tools and more.
FL Studio supports WAV, MP3, OGG, WavPack, AIFF, and REX audio formats.
Compose and record your musical performances and ideas in the most logical way.
o Pattern or track sequencing – You choose, record your musical performances and ideas in the most logical way. FL Studio 9 can simultaneously function as a pattern and track based sequencer.
o Step sequencer or Piano roll - Tools include a Step-sequencer, an industry-leading Piano roll, event and multipoint automation. FL Studio supports MIDI input from all standard controllers.
FL Studio allows you to do what you want where and when you want.
o Determine your own project design - In FL9, you decide how your project will be laid out. Unlike the competition, FL9's Playlist is a totally flexible and virtually unbounded workspace where Note Pattern, Audio and Automation data can be arranged and edited to suit your creative ideas and preferred workflow.
Mixing & Mastering
FL Studio provides all the tools you need to produce your tracks to high professional standards.
o The mixer - FL9 includes a superb 104 track stereo track mixer that is about precision, control and flexibility. The mixer’s tracks each hold up to 8 effects (VST, DX or FL's proprietary format). To create sub-mixes or mixing chains of almost unlimited complexity, each mixer track can be routed to any other mixer track, one of 4 dedicated 'send' channels and or the Master track. Sends provide the ability to sidechain inputs to multi-input effects plugins. Finally, each of the mixer tracks can be routed to any output on your audio interface, now that’s flexibility.
o Effects - What about effects? FL Studio includes more than 40 effects spanning maximization, limiting, compression, delay, distortion, equalization (graphic & parametric), filtering, phasing, flanging, chorus, vocoding and reverb. These have you covered for the creative broad-brush effects, through to the minutia of the mastering process.
Lifetime free updates
There may be no such thing as a ‘free lunch’ but there certainly is ‘lifetime free updates’ with Image Line’s update policy.
o Never pay for bug-fixes again! - Customers who purchase a download edition of FL Studio through our online shop receive lifetime free downloadable updates. Free updates entitles the customer to all future updates of FL Studio according to level purchased (Express, Fruity, Producer or Signature Bundle). For example, all FL Studio 9 customers will be able to download their version of FL Studio 10, 11 etc, for free.
o Boxed Edition - Customers who have the Boxed version don’t miss out and can convert to lifetime free downloadable updates for a small additional fee.
Key new features and changes
Over 370 additions, changes & bugfixes featuring:
o FL Studio
· Sidechaining - The FL Studio Mixer 'Track Send' now has an additional 'Sidechain' mode to support multiple-input mixer plugins.
· Multi-core CPU (Hyperthreading) - Improved multithreaded generator & added multithreaded effects processing.
· Multiple controllers - Can now control multiple independent instrument channels, assigned by MIDI number.
· New volatile linking feature.
· Wrapper - Aligned tick lengths checkbox for greater plugin compatibility.
o New Plugins
· Autogun - Sonic adventure (free). Based on Ogun.
· Ogun - Additive metal simulation synthesizer (demo).
· Gross Beat- Real-time, audio-stream playback, pitch, position and volume manipulation effect (demo).
· Stereo Shaper - Mid / Side stereo processing (free).
· Vocodex- The last word in vocoders (free with Producer Edition).
o Revised Plugins
· Additional included plugins - SimSynth Live, DrumSynth Live, DX-10, WASP and WASP XT are now included in FL Studio (Fruity edition upwards).
· Fruity Reeverb 2 - Added Mid vs Side input signal processing.
· Fruity Wrapper - Now supports multiple inputs/outputs (free).
· Wavecandy- Visualization & analysis tools (free).
· Fruity Limiter - Compressor section now has sidechaining (free).
o Piano roll
· Riff machine - Automatic sequence generator tool.
· Note Grouping – New feature (works on selecting, moving, resizing, deletion, muting, shifting using mouse-wheel).
· Playlist track naming & icon - Tools for better song organization.
· Playlist track mute controls.
· More tracks - Now has 99 Insert tracks (up from 64).
· Multi-core CPU support - Added 'multithreaded mixer' tracks processing for improved multi-core performance.
· Presets - Drop effect presets onto mixer tracks & channels, mixer track presets onto effect slots and channels, channel & generator presets onto mixer tracks & effect slots.
· Windows file shell menu – Available from Browser (right-click) item menu.
See our ‘History’ page for the full list.
All FL Studio demo versions are fully featured, giving you access to features associated with the highest level of the program (Producer Edition). Compose new songs and export them to WAV, MP3 or OGG. The only limitation is that projects saved in demo mode will only open fully once FL Studio and plugins have been registered. This gives you the ability to save recover your original projects post-purchase.
FL9 will fit easily within your current software supporting VST/VSTi/VST2, DXi, DXi2, MP3, WAV, OGG, MIDI, ASIO, ASIO 2, REWIRE, REX 1 & 2.
Additionally supported through DirectWave Editor: AKAI AKP (S5/6K,Z4,Z8), Battery (version 1), MPC, Reason, Kurzweil, EXS24, Kontakt (version 1 & 2), Recycle, SFZ+ and SoundFont2.