New Features in FL Studio 12
This is a list of notable new features and changes in FL Studio 12. For the complete list (including bug fixes) please check the 'WhatsNew.rtf' in the FL Studio installation folder:
'..\Program Files\Image-Line\FL Studio\WhatsNew.rtf'. FL Studio 12 YouTube playlist.
This manual applies to FL Studio 12.3
FL Studio includes Lifetime Free Updates, there may be a new version with more features, check online here.
New in FL Studio 12.3
- FL Engine / Interface:
- Real-time stretching - Sampler and Audio Clip 'Realtime > Stretch' mode allows you to change tempo and maintain pitch and rhythm in sync with the project AND OR change pitch and maintain sample duration in the Piano roll. See also: 'Tools menu > Macros > Switch realtime stretching for all audio clips'.
- Image-Line Remote feedback - Right-click Enable Image-Line Remote to activate control feedback from IL Remote to FL Studio.
- Auto name - The names of existing Channels aren't changed when dropping presets on them and the General Settings > Auto name is off.
- Type in values - Tempo and Mixer track selectors now accept actual values.
- Restore previous state after solo option - This option under General Settings > Miscellaneous allows you to restore the Channel Rack, Playlist and Mixer to their state prior to a solo command, or to unsolo everything when it's off.
- Event Editors - Event Editors no longer close if the Effect Slot changes
- Major bug fix/maintenance update - If you have experienced bugs please test for them and report to Techsupport if they still exist.
- New plugins
- Transient Processor (demo). Hey, no complaints! We haven't released a new plugin, for sale, since Harmor in 2011 yet we gave away Maximus and Sytrus with FL Studio 12. We're not greedy :P
- Razer Chroma - Control Razer Chroma enabled hardware such as laptops, keyboards, mice and headsets from FL Studio.
- Plugin updates - Mainly replacing bitmap with vectorial interfaces (UI):
- Channel Rack - New options and features:
- Mute/Solo locking - Shift-Click Mute LEDs to lock them to their current state.
- Lock MIDI notes to Channels - Right-click a Channel Button and select Receive notes from. The Channel will now respond to that Controller regardless of what Channel is selected in FL Studio.
- MIDI channel through - Allows all MIDI Channels from a controller or external sequencer to pass to the plugin for separate control AND to record up to 16 separate MIDI Channel colors. When this option is off, MIDI Channel is ignored (previous FL Studio behavior).
- Auto resize - Set the height of the Channel Rack (Off, Min, Max).
- Sort by - Sort the Channel Rack order (Mixer Track, Name, Color).
- All editors (Playlist, Piano roll & Event Editor):
- Incremental Scrolling - There are separate options under Playlist menu > View, Piano roll menu > View, & Event Editor menu > View > Incremental scrolling. Clicking on the scroll-bar rail will start scrolling toward, rather than jumping directly to, the location clicked. Designed to minimize jump-relocation mistakes when editing close to the Scroll Bar at high-zoom levels.
- Continuous scrolling - Editor windows scroll continuously rather than jumping. Right-Click the Scroll icon and select 'Continuous scrolling'.
- Piano roll - New options and features:
- Scale highlighting - See 'Menu > Helpers > Scale highlighting' to choose a scale root (C through to B) and scale type (Major, Minor etc) to show on the Piano roll background.
- Keyboard views - See 'Menu > View > Keyboard style' for new 'Classic', 'Modern' and 'List' views.
- Event Editor target menu - Moved to the left of the integrated Event Editor.
- Brush tools updated - Mono paint renamed Paint: Swaps +Shift functions with un-Shifted functions to match the brush tool behavior prior to FL Studio 11. Poly paint renamed Paint in drum sequencer mode: Functions remain the same. The name changes are intended to better explain the purpose of the two brush tools.
- New shortcuts
- G - Select the Channel above
- H - Select the Channel above with note data
- J - Select the Channel below
- K - Select the Channel below with note data
- Mixer - Mute/Solo locking - Shift-Click Mute LEDs to lock them to their current state.
- Mute/Solo locking - Shift-Click Mute LEDs to lock them to their current state.
- Automatic Clip placement - Audio, Automation & Pattern Clips are now placed in the highest empty (visible) Playlist track.
- Solo tracks/lanes - Ctrl+Left-Click the Mute icon now Solo/Unsolos the lane. Added for consistency with the Mixer and Channel Rack solo button behavior.
New in previous FL Studio 12.0, 12.1 and 12.2 updates
FL Studio Editions & Bundles
More value! See the full comparison here. Changes include:
FL Engine / Interface
- Interface - Vectorial user interface can be scaled between 100% to 400% and supports high resolution monitors up to 8K. See Options > General Settings > GUI display.
- Channel Menu - The Channel Options Menu has moved from the Toolbar Menu to the Channel rack (1).
- Channel Rack - Optional (Alt+M) Mixer track routing controls.
- Channel Settings - Have been integrated into the Plugin Wrapper.
- Pattern Menu - The Pattern Menu has moved from the Channel rack to the Toolbar Menu and Pattern Selector (14).
- Stepsequencer - Stepsequences are now interchangeable with Piano rolls.
- VST Plugins - VST plugin installation has been improved and includes the ability to set multiple search folders with the 'File Settings > Manage plugins > Add path option on the Plugin manager'.
- Audio stretching - Updated to Elsastique version 3 with improved transient processing, especially at high stretch ratios (by zplane).
- FLAC export - Export FLAC from FL Studio or Edison.
- VST Plugins - Implemented Presonus "high-dpi" notification support for VST 2 and 3 plugins
- Manage plugins menu - Manage Plugins menu item moved from Tools to Options menu
- Color and icon options - Right-Click, direct menu items to change color and icon of channels, patterns and plugins
- Typing keyboard to Piano - Added 24 new typing scales (right-click 'Typing to piano' button).
- Piano roll Auto-zoom can be deselected from Settings > General > Auto zoom in piano roll.
- Stamp tool (on toolbar) - Replaces chord tool. Paste preset chords.
- Time markers - Add time markers to the Piano roll for labelling purposes. Setting a time marker of type 'Pattern length' will change the active Pattern length.
- Find unintentionally overlapped notes - Use 'Piano roll menu > Select > Select possible conflicts' to highlight all overlapping notes.
- Editable ghost notes - Piano roll menu > Helpers > Editable ghosts (Ctrl+Alt+V) - Allows direct interaction with Ghost Notes as per normal notes.
- File management - Multiple drag and drop for audio files onto Playlist (from a Windows file browser).
- Labels - Keep labels on screen option.
- Drag and drop multiple audio files (stems) - Drag and drop any number of audio files onto the Playlist from an external file browser.
- Performance mode - For use with non pre-configured controllers, MIDI notes 120 to 127 have additional functions.
- Stretch mode switch - Added shortcut (Shift+M) to switch Stretch mode on/off.
- GUI - Vectorial UI dynamically resizable X 6 layout styles. 3 user-configurable docking panels.
- Full mixer track colors - See Mixer Menu > View > Colorful mixer > Off, Low, Medium or High.
- Lines between Mixer tracks - See Mixer Menu > View > Lines between tracks.
- Multi-select - Select and adjust multiple track levels.
- Grouping - Enhanced track grouping and sub-mix functionality.
- Multi-touch - Multi-touch support.
- 10 FX slots per track - Increased from 8 slots, use Patcher if you need more.
- No more dedicated 'Send' tracks - The four dedicated Send tracks have been replaced with general purpose tracks and now can be used as part of the general track pool.
- The 'Selected' (S) Mixer track has been renamed 'Current' (C). It's now to the left of the Master Mixer track.
- User configurable category tabs - Category tabs (snapshot slots) allow users to select, content, plugins and current project files. Slots can be renamed and icons set to show along the top of the Browser.
- Editing - Delete content on right-click.
- New content - 1650 one shot drum samples in Packs > Drums > Mode Audio (inc. 121 Claps, 50 Cymbals, 353 Hi Hats, 349 Kicks, 219 Percussion/SFX, 57 Rims, 48 Shakers, 286 Snares, 57 Toms, 110 Foley)
- Demo projects - Added the winners and some finalists of the FL Studio Demo Contest. See Projects > Song contests