New Features in FL Studio 12
This is a list of notable new features and changes in FL Studio 12. For the complete list (including bug fixes) please check the 'WhatsNew.rtf' in the FL Studio installation folder:
'..\Program Files\Image-Line\FL Studio\WhatsNew.rtf'. FL Studio 12 YouTube playlist.
This manual applies to FL Studio 12.2
FL Studio includes Lifetime Free Updates, there may be a new version with more features, check online here.
FL Studio Editions & Bundles
More value! See the full comparison here. Changes include:
New in FL Studio 12.2
- Major bug fix/maintenance update - If you have experienced bugs please test for them and report to Techsupport if they still exist.
- FLAC export - Export FLAC from FL Studio or Edison.
- VST Plugins - Implemented Presonus "high-dpi" notification support for VST 2 and 3 plugins
- New content - 1650 one shot drum samples in Packs > Drums > Mode Audio (inc. 121 Claps, 50 Cymbals, 353 Hi Hats, 349 Kicks, 219 Percussion/SFX, 57 Rims, 48 Shakers, 286 Snares, 57 Toms, 110 Foley)
- Demo projects - Added the winners and some finalists of the FL Studio Demo Contest. See Projects > Song contests
- Manage plugins menu - Manage Plugins menu item moved from Tools to Options menu
- Color and icon options - Right-click, direct menu items to change color and icon of channels, patterns and plugins
- Typing keyboard to Piano - Added 24 new typing scales (right-click 'Typing to piano' button).
- Plugin updates - Mainly replacing bitmap with vectorial interfaces (UI):
FL Engine / Interface
- Piano roll Auto-zoom can be deselected from Settings > General > Auto zoom in piano roll.
- Stamp tool (on toolbar) - Replaces chord tool. Paste preset chords.
- Time markers - Add time markers to the Piano roll for labelling purposes. Setting a time marker of type 'Pattern length' will change the active Pattern length.
- Find unintentionally overlapped notes - Use 'Piano roll menu > Select > Select possible conflicts' to highlight all overlapping notes.
- Editable ghost notes - Piano roll menu > Helpers > Editable ghosts (Ctrl+Alt+V) - Allows direct interaction with Ghost Notes as per normal notes.
- File management - Multiple drag and drop for audio files onto Playlist (from a Windows file browser).
- Labels - Keep labels on screen option.
- Find unintentionally overlapped Clips - Use 'Playlist menu > Select > Select possible conflicts' to highlight all overlapping Clips.
- Drag and drop multiple audio files (stems) - Drag and drop any number of audio files onto the Playlist from an external file browser.
- Performance mode - For use with non pre-configured controllers, MIDI notes 120 to 127 have additional functions.
- Stretch mode switch - Added shortcut (Shift+M) to switch Stretch mode on/off.
- GUI - Vectorial UI dynamically resizable X 6 layout styles. 3 user-configurable docking panels.
- Full mixer track colors - See Mixer Menu > View > Colorful mixer > Off, Low, Medium or High.
- Lines between Mixer tracks - See Mixer Menu > View > Lines between tracks.
- Multi-select - Select and adjust multiple track levels.
- Grouping - Enhanced track grouping and sub-mix functionality.
- Multi-touch - Multi-touch support.
- 10 FX slots per track - Increased from 8 slots, use Patcher if you need more.
- No more dedicated 'Send' tracks - The four dedicated Send tracks have been replaced with general purpose tracks and now can be used as part of the general track pool.
- The 'Selected' (S) Mixer track has been renamed 'Current' (C). It's now to the left of the Master Mixer track.
- User configurable category tabs - Category tabs (snapshot slots) allow users to select, content, plugins and current project files. Slots can be renamed and icons set to show along the top of the Browser.
- Editing - Delete content on right-click.