MIXING & EFFECTS
Play with time! Gross Beat is a real-time, audio-stream playback, pitch, position and volume manipulation effect. Gross Beat stores audio in a 2-bar rolling buffer controlled by 36 time and 36 volume mapping
envelopes for easy beat-synced glitch, stutter, repeat, scratching and gating effects. Welcome to Gallifrey Time Lord!
Lurking in the darkness, just below the Time mix knob (as shown above):
- Click reduction - Reduces clicks caused by discontinuities in volume between the 'jump-from' and 'jump-to' locations. For the best results you may need to apply manual 'click reduction'. Briefly ramp
the volume down to zero to coincide with the point at which the Time Envelope relocates the playback position. Step the volume back to normal at or a fraction after the jump.
- Smoothing attack compensation - Compensates for the small period of silence at Time Envelope relocation events caused by manually applied volume smoothing envelopes (see above).
Selecting this option will move the Time Envelope forward slightly so that attack transients are not lost when the Volume Envelope ramps down.
- Remove DC offset - Removes output offsets/biases when playback is stopped (e.g. when the Time Mapping envelope matches the angle of the Safety line).
- HQ resampling - Adaptive 'sinc interpolation' algorithm which improves the audio
quality of pitch-shifted audio at the expense of increased CPU load.
- View scratching clock - Shows the scratching dial. To scratch, click on the clock-dial and move your mouse up/down. Right-click to link to external or internal controllers. NOTE: If the Scratching
Clock is hidden and Gross Beat is put into Compact Mode (drag to the left on the right edge of the Mapping Envelope area, until the plugin compacts OR for the VST version use the
'Resize' menu option), then a small mapping envelope will display here.
- About - Opens the plugin credits 'splash image'.
Code & Graphics: Didier Dambrin.
VSTi Port: Frederic Vanmol.
...watch out for falling satellites!