Plugins behaving badly?
This section contains information to help bring wayward plugins back into line:
First things first ...
- Update / reinstall the plugin - Is there a newer version of the plugin? Even if there is not, check the developers site, download and re-install from the latest installer.
- Update FL Studio - Carefully follow the 8 steps listed in the Clean Install section. This will make sure you are using the latest FL Studio and so plugin wrapper and shared files which are critical to smooth operation of VST/AU plugins. There may also be an interim, bugfix update, of these components available from our Public Betas - Plugins & Components forum post.
- Optimization - Make sure you have worked through this page in the manual - Optimizing FL Studio performance.
If you continue to have problems, then proceed below:
There are Options and Settings that may help
- Known issues - Check the Knowledge Base article - Problems with VST / AU Plugins in FL and Solutions (Wrapper Settings) for problems with common plugins and the solutions.
- macOS VST vs AU - On macOS you normally have the option of installing both VST and AU versions of plugins. Try swapping format and see if that resolves the problem.
- Spiking CPU meter, crashes, no sound, rendering quality, rendering sync (timing), loop-playback issues:
- Open the plugin wrapper 'Troubleshooting' tab and select 'Use fixed size buffers'. If this is not successful proceed below.
- Open the Audio Settings and try CPU options - 'Multithreaded generator processing' (try off), 'Multithreaded mixer processing' (try off) & 'Align tick lengths' (try on/off).
NOTE: If 'Multithreaded processing' is the cause of problems, then permanently disable it for the plugin/s at fault. Do this by deselecting the Wrapper Additional Settings Menu 'Allow threaded processing' switch and saving the wrapper state. The options set will be remembered for that particular plugin next time it is opened. Enable the global, Audio settings, multithreaded processing options for the remaining plugins.
- Sluggish Start/Stop or Playlist is glitchy - Try Audio Settings > Mixer > 'Reset plugins on transport', OFF.
- MIDI, automation, GUI & patch-changing issues - Try the plugin wrapper 'Settings > GUI & Automation' options.
- FL Studio 32 vs 64 Bit - Make sure you are using a 32 Bit version of the plugin with FL Studio 32 Bit or the 64 Bit version of the plugin with FL Studio 64 Bit. It could be the bit-bridge wrapper that is crashing. If this solves the problem, please report the plugin to Tech Support so we can fix it.
IMPORTANT: Tell The Developer!
When you identify a problem with a plugin, even if one of the steps above fixes it, please contact the developer. When problems are not reported, they don't get fixed. This section has an all-caps 'IMPORTANT' because hardly anyone does this. Developers need feedback to make their products better.