Artist Delete All Contacts (RIP)18-10-2010
EDIT: We are sad to report Spencer passed away in the early hours of Sunday 5 December 2010 at his Hospice. The team here at Image-Line wish to send our condolances to Spencers family and friends. He will be sorely missed.
Today we’d like to introduce Spencer Steel, AKA Delete All Contacts. Those with a keen eye may remember this picture below from our Lifetime FREE Updates video.
Spencer Steel pondering how wide his mixer should be (RIP, 2010)
1. Tell us about your track – Deleting All Contacts
My latest song is called “Deleting All Contacts” … It was an attempt to set an angst written theme to my style of downbeat electronica music …
I’m no good at genres, so i’m not sure what it would be filed under. Obviously based on my artist title, I wanted to express those times when you want to shut out the world, isolate and revel in a little self-induced “screw the world!”. It’s about those time of slamming the door against those that are trying to help you … I think most people have been there at some point.
Sonically, I am trying to keep things current but I am harking back to slower 80’s synth hooks … Early Depeche Mode is an obvious reference. I like the way these songs could stick in your head with simple hook lines. There was no need for a million filters and a furious fx’s … these were just well-crafted pop songs and it’s something that I find influencing me more and more.
Yes, I sing on this. Vocal production is still new and I definitely have a take-it-or-leave-it style. And yes, it needs work! But my philosophy is that I’d rather have a couple of fans who like my rough style than be creating faceless instrumentals or bringing in pitch-perfect “fly so high/in the sky” female divas. For me, it’s not about being a “big” or “successful” artist but about creating something that I hear inside, warts and all. So expect more dodgy vocal attempts as DAC progresses. You’ve been warned.
2. What were your first impressions of FL Studio and how did you come to use it?
I stumbled across FL after building my own huge gaming PC (thankfully with a good sound card!). Once I had built the rig, I soon found myself bored – I like to build and create more than consume and one fateful weekend I found myself wondering how good my rig would be for music creation and what was possible with a reasonable PC.
My first impressions of FLS was probably unrepeatable. For lots of of personal reasons, it was like a door that I thought had been closed on me was flung wide open. I used to create music “back in the day” (1989 onwards) and my first DAW was Steinberg Pro 24, pre Cubase. Of course there was no such thing as a VSTi … this was midi data only, hardware synths (god bless my Korg M1) and an Atari ST.
After loading up a couple of instances of Gol’s “Sytrus” VSTi’s and playing around with the free sample banks included with FLS blew my head off. I knew that I had rediscovered the joy of making music and it was something that would become my obsession. I remember not sleeping with excitement as all the musical ideas starting to rush to my head.
Exploring FLS blew me away. Simple yet so deep, the power of what was on offer amazed me. I found what I’d be looking for … a way to start getting out some of my inner musical ideas and thoughts with minimum outlay. So much for so little.
The initial leaning curve was steep in many ways but easy in others, as once you understand any DAW then the concepts remain the same but what made FL special was its non-liner approach … A flexible and open system that didn’t tie you down to one work-flow. A sandbox to play with and find the ways of working that suited you best.
FL is deep. There’s so much I don’t know. Every time I open it, I find more. The beginner can get going quickly but will soon realise that FL Studio will take a lifetime to “master”, in the best possible way … And with Image Line constantly upping the stakes and introducing new tools, methods and techniques, learning FLS will be a constant ongoing process.
3. Tell us about your production environment & toys?
Once I started on the “studio build”, I quickly realised that for that point onwards, that my spare money – and some life savings – was now going into this hobby. The good news is that, as far as FLS goes, you don’t need to spend that much cash. The top FLS package offers everything a producer could need … And don’t forget that’s free updates for life. What Image Line give away is ridiculous. I struggled to get their business model for a while, wondering how the heck they could give away so much for nothing!
The additional “pay for” plugins Image Line sell are of great quality and really fairly priced … and there’s normally a sale around the corner, so building my ultimate FLS setup didn’t take too long and I’m proud to have a full suite of Image Line plugins and tools. I’ve probably mastered about 5% of each one!
However, my little obsession wouldn’t really let me stop at just the FLS suite. As brilliant as VSTi’s are, I found myself yearning to twiddle some knobs and embarked on the unforgiving world of hardware synths, ploughing some life savings into a Virus Ti2 Keyboard, a DSI Tetra and a DSI Mopho. Also, I invested in some Genelec speakers, a Motu audio interface and a great se2200a microphone/reflection filter bundle. Ah, then the dual computer monitors and the 3rd party plugins (I love the Spectrasonic stuff) and … As I said, this stuff gets addictive. Gear lust is a big problem and I can’t shake that Moog Little Phatty from my head …
… but I don’t want to get drawn on the “what sounds better” hardware/software debates. It depends on what you do with it. And to be honest, my Virus is my garaged Ferrari that I polish and gaze at and probably drive at 30mph of a weekend, much to the frustration of others … but these are my toys to learn slowly and twiddle with. Although hardware synths can be a royal pain in the backside compared to ease of VSTi’s, I just like the tactile keyboards and controls. I guess it’s what I grew up with. I hear people who make the most incredible sounding tracks with stock FLS synths, there is no “need” to go outside the box … It just depends on what excites you and how much of a sucker you are for complicating your life with lots of workarounds!
4. Do you have any links you would like to share?
I’ve very recently had the DAC webpage www.deleteallcontacts.com (this link no longer works) designed for me by a guy called J.D.Andrews (aka JDA70) from the Image-Line forum. He kindly built a simple but cool looking homepage for DAC, where you can get to all my media. There is an embedded SoundCloud player on the website to hear my current sampler playlist. Thank you again, JDA70 – amazing kindness.
With Facebook making it really easy to upload news, video and music, as well as having the advantage of fans being able to comment and follow, it’s pretty much taken the strain off trying to create a full-functional artist website – everything can be pretty much taken care of by a Facebook, SoundCloud and YouTube
Official links are:
www.deleteallcontacts.com (this link no longer works)
– a couple of videos I have put together (also available on the Facebook page). By the way, if anyone reading this enjoys making movies and is looking for some original music to add visuals too, please get in touch.
5. We know you have been battling a serious illness for some time, how has your music helped?
Yes, its been a hell of year. I won’t go into too much detail but in a nutshell I have a life-threatening rare case of Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma – actually, I have two different cancers, but you can read all about that here http://thekemokid.blogspot.com. A year of various chemotherapy treatments have sadly not shifted it and the latest reports were not great, with new tumours appearing … but we haven’t given up hope yet.
Music has been a huge help. As I said at the beginning, it allows me to get out some feelings into the world, or at the very least, get some relief from the constant cycles of hospitals, pain and treatment.
To be honest, actually sitting down for a full music session is proving increasingly tougher as time goes on – making music really requires you to be fully on form and alert. Concentration, inspiration and energy is needed to get the ideas recorded – but when I do get the good days and the music starts to work, then it’s the best feeling in the world.
What I would like to say, is that even when I’m not making music, just being around the FL Community Forums is a really good way of staying in the loop. There are some great guys there and some friendly, lively and sometimes ridiculous debates and threads – so I never feel too far away from what is happening on the scene. People have been very kind and supportive, from the highest Image Line staff down to the forum members. I feel like its a home from home when I’m cooped up in hospital. Oh, I also just got an iPad for those hospital stays, to explore some of the simple music apps and be able to stay in the touch with the outside world. I’m looking forward to seeing what Image Line have lined up for the device!
In a nutshell, my life would be infinitely more frustrating without my hobby … FL Studio has really changed my world in the last few years and I can’t express my gratitude enough to Gol and the support team for the gift of music creation that you gave to me.
Does anyone want a tissue?
Spencer Steel – aka Delete All Contacts
Thanks Spencer, the team here at Image-Line appreceate your support. We all wish you the best with your music and especially that illness.
We have created a thread on Looptalk for discussion.
EDIT UPDATE: JWM Fellow FL Studio user made these dance remixs of Deleting All Contacts
Recent news overview
- Video Chopping | ZGE Visualizer FL STUDIO | ZGE Visualizer has become a hugely popular go-to-tool for creating music videos. We used it to create...
- FL STUDIO 20.7.2 Released FL STUDIO 20.7.2 | Workflow enhanced! In the second maintenance update for FL Studio 20.7 we're happy to release a...
- Studio Drum Tracks | Jayce Lewis Jayce Lewis Studio Drum Tracks brings you the sound of real studio drums to mix into your FL Studio projects. 58,...
- FL STUDIO | Multi-Track Stems Export FL STUDIO | In this tutorial we cover Export all Mixer Tracks and Export All Playlist Tracks and consider the...
- FLEX | Jump Up Repertoire (FREE) We've released another a free FLEX pack to help keep you inspired and creative in your home studios. Please note, this...
- FL STUDIO | Exporting Quality Audio FL STUDIO | In this tutorial we show the most important settings when exporting quality audio. For full details on...
- Getting Started Tutorial FL STUDIO | In this tutorial we're back to basics and show how to work with the new workflow features...
- FL STUDIO 20.7.1 Released FL STUDIO 20.7.1 | Is a maintenance update with improvements to Newtime, the Video Visualizer, Macros, MIDI Scripting and more (see below)....
- FL STUDIO 20.7 Released FL STUDIO 20.7 | Dominate YouTube, Instagram and Facebook with the new Visualizer, enjoy more freedom with unlocked Piano roll note colors and get set for unlimited...
- FLEX | Bass Utopia (FREE) Still locked in? Great, we've released another a free FLEX pack to help keep you inspired and creative in your...
- FLEX | Atlantis by Black Octopus Sound There's nothing like fresh sounds to inspire creativity while you are locked in. We're excited to release FLEX | Atlantis by Black Octopus Sound. Evoke...
- FLEX | Magnificence (FREE) The FL STUDIO team encourage you to stay safe while we all ride out the CV-19 pandemic. So, we've released a free...
- Alan Walker, K-391 & Ahrix RMX Contest We're excited to announce the Alan Walker, K-391 and Ahrix ‘End of Time’ remix talent search. Get involved shaping the final track ... Click here...
- Dancefair MasterClasses We're always excited about Dancefair, where expert producers share how they create hit tracks. We're gearing up for Dance fair 2020 with...
- FLEX | Phonon Collider Phonon Collider FLEX Library by WiseLabs. 320 presets, each with all 8 macros mapped to a whole universe of exciting...
- FL Studio Best DAW FL STUDIO has topped the MusicRadar Best DAW poll (again). Thanks everyone, for your support. So now it's onwards and upwards into 2020...
- FLEX | Floor Shakers FREE We are excited to release the Floor Shakers FLEX Library by SH-1, free to FL STUDIO customers. Just open FLEX and...
- FL STUDIO 20.6.1 Released FL STUDIO 20.6.1 is a maintenence update to fix the issues reported with FL Studio 20.6. Although, as usual, the team...
- FL STUDIO 20.6 Released Watch the full-length introductory FL Studio 20.6 video here FL STUDIO 20.6 introduces new ways to create Distortion, improved audio Time Warping,...
- FLEX | Electronica by Histibe FL STUDIO 20.5 introduced FLEX a free instrument plugin for all FL STUDIO editions. Now we are pleased to release ELECTRONICA by HISTIBE. DOWNLOAD...
- FLEX | Monsters Library (Free) FL STUDIO 20.5 introduced FLEX a free instrument plugin for all FL STUDIO editions. We are excited to release a new FREE FLEX library...
- Harmor | Eleanor Vocals We are proud to release Eleanor Vocals Resynthesized for Harmor. Following our acclaimed Elle Vee, Victoriya, Tevlo, Veela & Lollievox Vocals...
- FL STUDIO | Development Team We just concluded our annual developers conference, where we take time out from the daily routine to brainstorm the future...
- FLEX | Fulcrum Library FL STUDIO 20.5 introduced FLEX a free instrument plugin for all FL STUDIO editions. Now we are excited to release FLEX FULCRUM. A 'trance'...
- Contest | Vocalkitchen x FLEX We're excited to announce the Vocalkitchen x FL Studio FLEX remix contest, feat. Nino Lucarelli ... Vocalkitchen (Helping DJs Find Their Voice) X FLEX (Advanced Simplicity)...
- DAW Martyr Contest Winners Thanks to Jayce Lewis and Aston Microphones & AKAI for supporting the FL STUDIO DAW MARTYR REMIX CONTEST. We're exited to announce the winners below. Get...
- FL Studio 20.5.1 Update FL STUDIO 20.5.1 is a maintenence update to fix the issues reported with FL Studio 20.5 that introduced FLEX a free synthesizer...
- FLEX | Synthwave Library (free) FL STUDIO 20.5 introduced FLEX free for all FL STUDIO editions, as part of customer Lifetime Free Updates. We're continuing the celebrations by releasing a...
- FL STUDIO 20.5 Released FL STUDIO 20.5 Out Now! Includes a new FREE synthesizer, FLEX and lots of workflow enhancements for your favorite DAW.
- FLEX Free Synth FL Studio 20.5 FLEX!
- FIRE Expansion Packs (Free) FL Studio FIRE
- FL Studio Mobile | 3.2.19 Update FL Studio Mobile: 3.2.19 is now available for Android, iOS and Windows. Now with time signatures.
- FL Studio Mobile | 3.2.14 Update FL Studio Mobile: 3.2.14 is now available for Android, iOS and Windows. Now with audio time/pitch stretching and content resizing.
- FL Studio 20.1.2 Update FL Studio 20.1.2 is out now. Enjoy your Lifetime Free Updates!
- FL Studio 20.1 Audio Recording Learn how to record audio in FL Studio 20.1 onward ...
- FL Studio Templates Learn how to manage FL Studio Templates
- 100 free Harmor presets! FREE Harmor Pack. Olbaid.
- FL Studio 20.1.1 Update FL Studio 20.1.1 is out now. Enjoy your Lifetime Free Updates!
- DAW Martyr Remix Contest DAW MARTYR Remix Contest: #AstonMicrophones #JayceLewis
- FL Studio Mobile | 3.2 Update FL Studio Mobile: 3.2 is now available for Android, iOS and Windows. We're also proud to announce FL Studio Mobile won DJ Magazines best music App award 2018!
- FL Studio 20.1 BETA Start testing FL Studio 20.1 Beta and help us make the next version of FL Studio the best ever...
- FL Studio 20.0.5 FIRE! FL Studio 20.0.4 is out now. Reduces CPU usage for projects with inter-track mixer routing. Just what you need!
- FL Studio 20.0.4 Lower CPU! FL Studio 20.0.4 is out now. Reduces CPU usage for projects with inter-track mixer routing. Just what you need!
- macOS | Splice Support Splice is now available for Mac from FL Studio 20, and Windows from FL Studio 11 #Splice #FLStudio #macOS
- Maddix | Mixing EDM Kicks Maddix @ Dancefair 2018 discussing his tracks #Trabanca & #Live. #FLStudio #RazerMusic #Maddix
- Free Projects & Patches Grab this free Ogun project and presets by Electric Loop from the Ogun Presets Forum.
- Update FL Studio 11 or 12 to 20 How to update older versions of FL Studio to FL Studio 20 and keep all your data!
- Mac Update 20.0.3 [Build 38] Mac - FL STUDIO Update. Download from Image-line.com now!
- Using Time Signatures Time Signatures in FL Studio 20
- How to Unlock FL Studio How to download and unlock FL Studio.
- FL Studio 20.0.3 Update FL STUDIO 20.0.3 Update. Download from Image-line.com now!
- FL Studio Best DAW (IDMA) FL Studio BEST DAW 2018 IDMA Awards
- FL STUDIO 20 Released! The FL Studio 20 introducing Mac support, Time Signatures, multiple Playlists & track freezing, out now! FL Studio 20 includes Lifetime Free Updates.
- FL Studio 12.9 BETA 6 FL Studio 12.9 Beta 6 is available for testing.
- FL Studio 12.9 BETA 4 FL Studio 12.9 Beta 4 is available for testing. Introducing editable Toolbar!
- FL Studio 12.9 BETA 3 FL Studio 12.9 Beta 3 is available for testing. Re-introducing the Graph Editors!
- Harmor | Elle Vee Resynthesized ELLE VEE Vocals Resynthesized is a unique pack of presets for Harmor, making use of advanced audio resynthesis. It is one of the fastest and easiest ways to add pitchable vocals to your projects.
- Big Bag Remix Contest! BIG BAG Remix Contest. Win $1000 IL VCash, FL Studio Caps/Tees, etc. Entries close 28 Feb 2018. #Yob #BigBag #FLStudio #RMX #yobkulcha
- WiseLabs Guitar Loops & DirectWave Presets WiseLabs proudly presents you 'Guitar Loops', a pack of 870+ loops and 6 DirectWave presets (+samples)...
- Jayce Lewis ‘Shields’ Winners Winners in the Jayce Lewis SHIELDS remix contest. #JayceLewis #FLStudio #JayceLewis #Logickeyboard #Novation #SpinninRecors
- Harmor | SeamlessR Addition Harmor Library - SeamlessR Addition, 65 exclusive presets for Harmor. Get SeamlessR signature bass, leads, pads and sound effects to use royalty free in your own projects.
- FL Studio Guru | Time Stretching In this video the FL Studio Guru discusses, in detail, the ins and outs of stretching and pitching Audio Clips in FL Studio.
- FL Studio 12.9 BETA 1 FL Studio 12.9 BETA 1 is available for testing. Try: Time Signatures, 125 Mixer Tracks, improved APDC, macOS/OS X and more. Gotta love those Lifetime Free Updates! :) #FLStudio
- RMX Jayce Lewis ‘Shields’ Remix Contest. Win $1000 IL VCash, Logickeyboard ASTRA, FL Studio and Spinnin Records Caps/Tees, etc. Entries close 27 Nov 2017. #JayceLewis #FLStudio #RMX
- FL Studio 12.5.1 Released FL Studio 12.5.1 released. The macOS/OS X BETA is also available. Enjoy your Lifetime Free Updates!
- FL Studio Mobile | MiniSynth FL Studio Mobile: MiniSynth is a fully featured synthesizer with a low processor overhead and great sound. Load the presets or create your own sounds from scratch. There are 6 tabs covering the synthesizer controls.
- Fruity Delay 3 Fruity Delay 3 is an advanced 'analog' style delay plugin where its time can be automated and that can perform tempo-synced delay when the project BPM is changing. It includes filtering and distortion options for the delay echoes and can be driven into self-oscillation (feedback) for special effects.
- FL Studio 12.5 | Released FL Studio 12.5 is now available. New features include Touch Controllers, Pattern Clip rendering, Pattern Picker / Manager, updated DirectWave, FPC, Transistor BAss and more...
- Harmor | Victoriya Resynthesized VICTORIYA Vocals Resynthesized is a unique pack of presets for Harmor, making use of advanced audio resynthesis. It is one of the fastest and easiest ways to add pitchable vocals to your projects.
- FL Studio 12.5 BETA FL Studio 12.5 is now in public beta. Get involved and shape the future of FL Studio. New features include Touch Controllers, Pattern Clip rendering, Pattern Picker / Manager and more...
- Dance Anthem Contest! Create The Ultimate Dance Festival Anthem and be in the running to get a release featured on a mix compilation (in Belgium) by UNIVERSAL. Prizes include 1st - $1000, 2nd - $500 and 3rd - $250 IL VCash to spend in the Image-Line shop.
- Ronald Jenkees Giveaway Ronald Jenkees is celebrating 10 years of YouTube. See his latest animated music video, inc. FL Studio cameo.
- VST Vectorial Updates We are pleased to announce vectorial (and bugfix) updates for the following VST plugins: Autogun, DrumSynth Live, Edison, Gross Beat, Harmless, Harmor, Juice Pack, Maximus, Ogun, Slicex, Sytrus and Vocodex
- 100% Freshly Squeezed Sytrus FREE project made from 100% Sytrus, including the percussion by Synth_dfr
- FL Studio Logickeyboard Introducing the logickeyboard for FL Studio. Variants: US, UK, QWERTZ.
- Transistor Bass vs TB-303 We compared a real Roland TB-303 to Transistor Bass. How close did we get?
- Free Sytrus Pack (Olbaid) FREE Olbaid Sytrus Essentials: Sytrus was included free with FL Studio 12 and so we're super excited to give you a new preset pack from Olbaid. The demo project is also 100% Sytrus and is also included. Enjoy.
- FL Studio 12.4.2 | Released FL Studio 12.4.2 is out now!
- FL Studio @ Dancefair (4/5 March – 2017) FL Studio will be featured at Dancefair 2017 (March 4/5). Masterclasses from Power Users.
- DAW WARS FL Studio tops the Music Radar 2017 DAW poll. Our success is 100% powered by word-of-mouth and our loyal supporters. Thank you!